Many people confuse different types of social media marketing with different tactics of social media marketing. It is not uncommon and that is why we are here to help. FAQ pages on some of our competitor’s social media agency sites group different types of marketing with some of the more commonly used tactics used to do online marketing. So we’d like to clarify this situation for you and make it a bit less mind-boggling.
Companies often want to leverage social media to help boost their marketing efforts, and on the whole, it’s a very good idea unless you don’t have a strategy. Strategic social media marketing does not mean building a beautiful Twitter profile that shares lots of good stuff and interacts quickly with your crowd. It doesn’t mean optimizing your Facebook share timing and format to reach wider audiences either. Those are tactics. Strategy is where brands need to begin, and it should follow a format like this:
- What audience am I trying to reach and why?
- Where is that audience in the social world? Twitter? Facebook? LinkedIn? Google+? Instagram? Reddit? Tumblr?
- Where is the audience that influences my desired audience?
- How can I be interesting, relevant, and useful enough that those groups – my audience and their influencers – will want to help me spread my messages?
- What content do I need to create and how do I need to share it to fulfill those requirements of interest, relevance, and value?
- What level and type of interaction is required to do that?
Social media marketing tactics that top notch companies like Sigma Creative use include the following broad categories, which in turn include many different inter-connected methods to increase the power of strategy in practice:
- Search Engine Optimization marketing, or SEO marketing
- Search Engine Marketing, or SEM marketing
- Social Media Marketing, or SMM marketing
- Pay Per Click advertising, PPC advertising
- Article Marketing: The creation of SEO key-worded articles and their submission to industry specific article directories, blogs and publications.
- Rich Media: Infographics, Data Visualization, Webinars, Podcasting, Photography and Videos that can be repurposed on multiple channels for increased impressions.
If you’re interested in learning more about our integrated marketing services, call 614-285-7565. Contact Sigma Creative today!